As part of the proposals, we will look to provide a new food school that builds on the success of established practices like the Smithfield Apprenticeship Scheme and the Billingsgate Seafood Training School.
A range of stakeholders across the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham and the South East would benefit from the inclusion of a food skills, education and training presence as it will:
- Train tomorrow’s market traders, providing the skills required to develop our future butchers, fishmongers, and fruiterers.
- Link with industry and provide direct pathways into
- Offer existing and new market tenants access to bespoke courses aimed at supporting and growing their businesses
- Encourage new businesses and young entrepreneurs to establish themselves within the markets or within the local area, helping the main markets continue to thrive.
- Support the local community and work with local schools and colleges to teach cooking skills and increase the understanding of food science and the food chain.
- Provide an environment where groundbreaking ideas and innovation flourish, helping the markets stay relevant in a rapidly changing world.
What could this look like?
Our proposals include potential future space to support apprenticeships, short courses, classroom training, recreation courses, and food preparation space.
We are working closely with the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham and Be First to see which elements are best located with the new market and which ones will thrive in Barking Town Centre.